Ph.D. student at the Technical University of Munich
Areas of research interests: Predictive Cloud Applications Autoscaling, Automatic QoS-based Cloud Applications Management, Cloud Computing, Internet of Things
Graduate of the Bauman Moscow State Technical University (Russia), Dipl.-Eng. (diploma with honors)
DAAD Scholar, Russian Presidential & Government Scholar, Participant of the Software Campus, Certified Data Scientist (Coursera)
- E-mail: v.podolskiy(at)tum.de
- Room: 01.04.057 (TUM MI Campus Garching)
My Github: https://github.com/Remit
- [ Research @ TUM : 2018 - current ] Predictive Cloud Autoscaling Engine // with Anshul Jindal, Saifeldin Ahmed, Yesika Ramirez, and Atakan Yenel
- [ Research @ TUM : 2017 - current ] Autoscaling Performance Measurement Tool (APMT) // with Anshul Jindal and Walentin Lamonos
- [ Research @ TUM : 2016 - current ] Dynamic cloud application tuning to meet QoS requirements (Ph.D. Research)
- [ Research @ BMW, TUM : 2017 ] Semi-automatic Decomposition of Cloud Applications with mixed Criticality Requirements for Real-time Scaling in Hybrid Clouds
- [ Research @ BMSTU : 2014 - 2017 ] Native Compiler & Library for Discrete mathematical Instructions Set Computer (DISC)
- [ Work @ IBS Group : 2013 - 2016 ] Graduates Employment Monitoring System (GEMS) for analysis of employment of graduates of universities (Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation) // Role: system architect, developer, substitute project manager
- [ Work @ IBS Group : 2016 ] Graduates Employment Monitoring System (GEMS) for analysis of employment of graduates of vocational education institutions (Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation) // Role: system architect, project manager
- [ Work @ IBS Group : 2013 - 2014 ] Analytical System for Management of Educational Clusters in Tambov Region // Role: analyst
Supervised Students' Projects
Please, note: in SoSe-2018 my capacity is full, so please either refer to my colleagues from I10/from other chairs or plan the thesis work/guided research for the next semester.
For students who want to do the B.Sc./M.Sc. thesis or guided research with the Chair:
In case you want to explore one of the research areas that I have expertise in, you are invited to send me an e-mail with a project proposal, grade report with relevant courses and CV. You have more chances to receive a topic for bachelor/master thesis or guided research, if you have successfully participated in one of the practical courses that I provide (with grade 1.3-1.0). If you haven't participated in the practical courses, you still have a chance, but you will need to demonstrate your skills on a task that is related to the project that you want to work on. Both German and English are fine.
For topics check here: www.caps.in.tum.de/theses/open/ (I should be marked as a contact person)
For students who want to do the thesis with the company:
At the Chair we really appreciate having contact with the industry, therefore students with thesis projects at company are welcome. However, in order to cope with the load, there are several rules for external applicants:
- the topic should be in our area of focus, i.e. cloud/edge/fog computing and all subtopics, Internet of Things middleware and all subtopics, virtualization;
- by the time of application for the master thesis you should have around 80-90 ECTS supported by the grading report;
- by the time of application for the master thesis you should already work on your topic at the company for at least one month;
- supervisor at your work should be directly involved in the communication loop with the Chair right from the start, ideally, your supervisor at work will ask us to supervise you at the university and will be ready to participate in three joint meetings with during your project (kick-off, midterm, and final);
- make sure that your results won't be a subject to NDA.
Please, also note that I cannot afford more than 3 external students doing their master theses with us at the same time.
- Anshul Jindal (Guided Research, finished) - Performance Analysis of Autoscaling Methods for Cloud Applications
- Latifa Mahna (Master Thesis, finished) - Budgeting Constraints Prediction for Cloud Services
- Atakan Yenel (Guided Research, ongoing) - Predictive Autoscaling Scheduling
- Saifeldin Ahmed (Guided Research, ongoing) - Dynamic Forecasting Models Tuning For Cloud Services Requests Prediction
- Victor Aguboshim (Master Thesis, ongoing) - Private Cloud Based on OpenStack and its Evaluation using EPFL CloudSuite
- Fariz Huseynli (Master Thesis with Siemens, ongoing) - Real-time Container Clusters for Seamless Computing (aka Fog Computing)
- Anshul Jindal (Master Thesis, ongoing) - Performance Model Derivation for Cloud-based Microservice Applications
- Yesika Ramirez (Master Thesis, ongoing) - Scaling Policies Derivation for Predictive Autoscaling of Cloud Applications
- Viktoriia Bakalova (Master Thesis with BMW, ongoing) - Monitoring and Alerting Framework for Hybrid Cloud Solutions
- Moawiah Assali (Master Thesis with BMW, ongoing) - Development of Cloud-based IoT-services for Cooperative Map Modeling with Autonomous Transportation Systems
- Walentin Lamonos (Bachelor Thesis, ongoing) - Autoscaling Rules Evaluation with the Autoscaling Performance Measurement Tool // Advisor - Anshul Jindal
- [ TUM : 2018 SS ] Master Practicum "Internet of Things" (IN2106, IN4224) with Prof. M. Gerndt
- [ TUM : 2017/2018 WS ] Master Practicum "Internet of Things" (IN2106) with Prof. M. Gerndt
- [ MGIMO : 2017/2018 WS ] Guest Lecture "Beyound the Cloud: What is Cloud Computing and how does it help to make a digital business?" with Assoc. Prof. S. Kamolov
- [ TUM : 2016/2017 WS ] Master Practicum "Cloud Computing" (IN2106) with Prof. S. Benedict
- [ BMSTU : 2015/2016 WS ] Substitute Lecture "How to catch a pearl in a data ocean?" with Assoc. Prof. A. Popov
- [ MGIMO : 2015/2016 WS ] Guest Lecture "How to catch a pearl in a data ocean?" with Assoc. Prof. S. Kamolov
- [ BMSTU : 2014 SS ] Practicum for Tutors "E-learning System Moodle" with Assoc. Prof. A. Popov
- [ Research & Teaching @ TUM : 2016 - present ] Research Assistant
- [ IT & Telecommunications & Consulting @ IBS Group : 2015 - 2016 ] Information Systems Architect
- [ IT & Telecommunications & Consulting @ IBS Group : 2014 - 2015 ] Analyst
- [ IT & Telecommunications & Consulting @ IBS Group : 2014] Jr. Analyst
- [ IT & Telecommunications & Consulting @ IBS Group : 2013 - 2014] Intern
- [ Journalism in Tech & Science @ BMSTU // Newspaper "Baumanec" : 2011 - 2013] Technology and Science Reporter (part-time job)
- [ 2018, accepted ] Vladimir Podolskiy, Anshul Jindal, Michael Gerndt, and Yury Oleynik. Forecasting Models for Self-Adaptive Cloud Applications: A Comparative Study. 12th IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems (SASO '18).
- [ 2018, accepted ] Vladimir Podolskiy, Anshul Jindal and Michael Gerndt. IaaS Reactive Autoscaling Performance Challenges. The 2018 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD 2018).
- [ 2018, accepted ] Vladimir Podolskiy, Yesika Ramirez, Atakan Yenel, Shumail Mohyuddin, Hakan Uyumaz, Ali Naci Uysal, Moawiah Assali, Sergei Drugalev, Matthias Friessnig, Anastasia Myasnichenko, and Michael Gerndt. Practical Education in IoT through Collaborative Work on Open-Source Projects with Industry and Entrepreneurial Organizations. 2018 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE 2018).
- [ 2018, conference proceedings ] Anshul Jindal, Vladimir Podolskiy, and Michael Gerndt. 2018. Autoscaling Performance Measurement Tool. In Companion of the 2018 ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 91-92. DOI: doi.org/10.1145/3185768.3186293
- [ 2017, conference proceedings ] Anshul Jindal, Vladimir Podolskiy and Michael Gerndt. 2017. Multilayered Cloud Applications Autoscaling Performance Estimation. In Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE 7th International Symposium on Cloud and Service Computing. IEEE. pp. 24-31. DOI 10.1109/SC2.2017.12. || OUTSTANDING PAPER AWARD ||
- [ 2017, conference proceedings ] Vladimir Podolskiy, Hans Michael Gerndt, and Shajulin Benedict. 2017. QoS-based Cloud Application Management: Approach and Architecture. In Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on CrossCloud Infrastructures & Platforms (Crosscloud'17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 7, 2 pages. DOI: doi.org/10.1145/3069383.3069390.
- [ 2016, peer-reviewed Journal ] Podolskiy V.E., Popov A. Yu. “Graph Decomposition for Parallel Data Processing on MISD Computer” // Herald of the Bauman Moscow State Technical University: Instrument Engineering, 2016, Issue 01 (106), pp. 112-128 (in Russian).
Reviewing, Participation in Program Comittees
- [2018, PC member] The 2018 IEEE International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA 2018)
- [2018, PC member] The 16th IEEE International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing (DASC 2018)
- [2018, PC member] The 15th International Symposium on Pervasive Systems, Algorithms and Networks (I-SPAN 2018)
- [2018, reviewer] 2018 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE 2018)
- [2017, sub-reviewer] 29th International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing (SBAC-PAD 2017)
- [2017, sub-reviewer] Journal of King Saud University - Computer and Information Sciences
- [ Civic Projects @ Civic Chamber of Moscow Region : 2014 – 2015 ] Consultant
- [ Smart City Planning & Public Involvement Projects @ Civic Chamber of Krasnogorskiy Municipality of Moscow Region : 2014 – 2016 ] Member of Civic Chamber
- [ Ecological Activism & Smart City Planning @ Social Movement "Let's save Krasnogorsk!" : 2013 – 2016 ] Activist, Member of Board